21 July 2017

A doll in the style of Jane Austen .....


Jane Austen doll using a Tilda pattern.  I found this very tricky as the arms and legs on this tall and slim doll were very long and narrow, so very difficult to turn right-sides out ready for stuffing - I resorted to using a straw and a crochet hook which helped!   The dress has a lined bodice and tiny lined sleeves were a nightmare - I stitched one of them on inside out and had to unpick, it was like making a standard frock but in miniature - my fingers could do with being a bit more nimble :-)  HOWEVER, I am very pleased with the end result and may make another ....


A close up of her top half - I used 'boufle' yarn (a fluffy boucle type yarn) for her hair, which I stitched on, her necklace is 3mm ivory pearl trim, a small piece stitched to the back of the neck under the hair, the lace on her gown is 'Donna' vintage style creamy ivory 12mm cotton lace and I added a sprig of tiny red berries and a light coral 20mm paper rose to her dress and her hair.  I used one fat quarter of printed cotton fabric for her gown and there is a little left for another smaller project

 
I painted on her shoes and the strap with fabric paint, then finished them with a 3mm self adhesive aurea borealis flatback

Thanks for looking, see you soon,
Mary G xx

2 comments:

Janette said...

I have always wanted to make a Tilda style doll, I just love them but they really do look fiddly and you just confirmed it Mary, I have to say it was worth it you did a fab job....xx

Carole Pollard said...

So lovely hugs